I-192 renewal

Solitaireposted 7 years ago

Hi all, I need to renew my waiver that has expired a couple of years ago, this would be the fifth time doing so successfully for a since pardoned 1989 simple possession conviction.

It`s been a while since I`ve applied for one last, I want to make absolutely sure I have all my documentation in order. I downloaded the most recent I-192 application form but find it no longer contains certain questions that were asked in the past such as places of employment, birth places of parents, copy of criminal record etc. I also recall reading/hearing about the need to include letters of reference which too, no mention is made of this either.
Has the application process been streamlined or am I missing something?
If someone can point me in the direction of a "check list" of sorts that I recall seeing in the past, I would be very much obliged.

Replies (recent first):

#12, Jamie, yes, for sure you should call the Parole Board and ask for a status update. They will advise what is happening with your file and how long you have to wait...Note: once they processed your credit card, you should have received a confirmation letter from them advising that payment was received and your file number.

Michelle replied 5 years ago   #13

I have been waiting for my record suspension since August 2o17 so its close to one year (in 30 days). I have never heard from them accept when they took my cc number. Should I contact the PBC or wait until the end of august? Does it mean its a bad result? My offense is from 36 years ago clean record since.
thanks in advance for any input you may have and thanks!

jamie replied 5 years ago   #12

@Frank Jr.

I think typically, Canadian citizens do not get issued this white I-94 paper when crossing the border.

I have recently been approved the I-272 waiver (the waiver you get after filing I-212, permission to re-enter after removal; I have not criminal record or overstay over a year, just a removal), and have entered via Niagara Falls border last week.

When I entered, I wasn't issued any I-94, which I thought was interesting, because the person that went with me (not Canadian citizen), she got fingerprinted and was issued with the paper I-94 that would be valid for 6 months.

I was naturalized last year, so it was the first time I entered as a Canadian citizen, and I have just been recently approved the waiver, so I was a bit surprised to see how easy the process was (no fingerprint, no stamp, no I-94).

I asked some of the other people about crossing the border, and they too never got any I-94 or stamp on their passports when entering, so it seems to be a common practice for Canadians to simply get 'waived in'.

But I guess if you're entering with your I-194 waiver, the process is a bit different (where they would actually issue you the paper I-94)?

WaiveMeIn replied 5 years ago   #11

#8 What was your conviction for? If it was PPT or sex crime, then you will not be hearing from them for a while. I agree that you may want to email them if you do not hear back by end of August.

K SCOTT replied 5 years ago   #10

@Whitney Joseph Brian its too early to have an answer. I would say late August. Your less than 60 days.

JOHN ROGERS replied 5 years ago   #9

please advise me on my application for renewal For A- I-192 US Waiver
File # A074742190 submitted May 21, 2018
also require receipt number
originally Waiver accepted July 8, 2013
in relation to my employment so I can cross the border
original receipt of payment in the amt of $585.00
did not show any ref#


Whitney Brien

Whitney Joseph Brien replied 5 years ago   #8

You will need to renew if it has expired, going by the date that should be printed on the approval letter and the waiver itself.

When you get your I-94 white card, assuming your waiver is still valid of course, you actually are to keep your waiver and letter in your possession at all times when travelling to the US. You do not "hand them in" as it were. When your white card expires, however, you DO hand this back in (usually at Canada customs) if you don't plan on making any more trips within the date shown on it. Then the next time you visit you will be referred to secondary to get a new one.

I hope this doesn't sound too confusing, but once you know the process you'll get used to it :)

As well: Good news for those with those I-94 multiple entry cards stapled to your passports as well. "Some" ports of entry are issuing these for up to one year now, as opposed to just six months, and I have one from Detroit that was done a few weeks ago and it's good until next November.

Your mileage in this regard, of course, may vary, since I was told at another port of entry (Lynden WA) that at that one they only still do them up for six months still. A small favour since over the course of a five-year waiver you'll have to visit secondary perhaps up to ten times just to do these and have them stapled in your passport as they expire...

Frank Jr. replied 7 years ago   #7


Hopefully someone can help me here..
I applied for a u.s waiver back in 2008 then finally received the letter of approval in 2011 from the u.s customs and border..
(I hired pardons canada to do it for me and that is how long they took doing the paper work..I highly advise anyone reading this to NOT go through them)
Back to what i was saying...After receiving this letter I never went to the states, so i never got the waiver/stamp or card? im not even sure what it is that you get when you hand over the letters to the border officers. My question is... is it still valid for me to hand in the letter of approval to get this one year waiver? or do i need to renew?
i dont want to take my chances to drive to the border and see or to book a flight..
Im located in toronto. if nobody has an answer to my question then, would you know where i could go that is close to me to figure it out?

connie replied 7 years ago   #6

It is good practice to treat each application like it is your first one...there are documents which MUST be the original, such as the RCMP records, however, others, such as your court records, may be photocopied (and this is advisable so you have them for renewals).

See the checklist links above.

Get your renewal in soon; the increase from US $585.00 to US $930.00 is imminent as it's recorded in the Federal Register and it is rare that a proposed increase does not go through, since at that register they show a complete accounting of costs regarding these applications.

Frank Jr. replied 7 years ago   #5

I will be submitting my second waiver application soon and wonder if I need to re -submit all original documents again? (And pay these fees again)? When is the new price for the waiver going up?

Stressed replied 7 years ago   #4

Yes, I mistyped. The G325-A form is to be included in your application package.

Frank Jr. replied 7 years ago   #3

I have used the G-325A form before, does it matter if I use the G 325 form? . They look the same

pett replied 7 years ago   #2


The above should link to the latest checklist. Please note that you may include --anything-- you feel strengthens your case, and you're encouraged to do so.

I wouldn't say that the new application, I-192 as updated June 10, 2016, is "streamlined" per se, since it adds biographical information. Note that you still include other information like employment and parentage on the form G-325 (as revised 2013).

Good luck with your renewal efforts, and feel free to check in anytime. Read through some of the recent threads at will.

Frank Jr. replied 7 years ago   #1

Reply to this thread

There is no need to “register”, just enter the same name + password of your choice every time.

Pro tip: Use to add links, quotes and more.