Form C-216C

maposted 1 month ago

I have applied for waivers since the late 1990's, and have been approved each time (I had a pardon in 1990's also). I am doing the process again, and one question arises. On the instructions from USCIS it has "NOTE to Canadian Applicants: You can obtain the information noted above from the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) by submitting your fingerprints on Form C-216C."

My understanding is the RCMP no longer uses a form C-216C, and their Criminal Record Check on their form is sufficient.

If that is the case, why does USCIS state it should be on Form C-216C?

Replies (recent first):

Sorry, I didn't mean to come off as harsh, I try and post the answer in a way that makes it clear of other people as well, so they may also benefit from your question. Sometimes when I try for clarity, it seems a bit blunt. (if it was I apologize)

People forget sometimes that Homeland Security is NOT trying to make this easy. They change the information from time to time, but remember not everyone who applies is in Canada. So THOSE people DO have to submit an RCMP form and get the prints digitized.

Like I tell everyone, what you did 5 years ago means nothing to Homeland Security. Different information, different President, different method. eSAFE did not exist 5 years ago, and now you HAVE to submit using eSAFE.

J Rogers replied 1 month ago   #5

@J Rogers thank you for your response. This is not my first time applying I have had a waiver in the past. It is now expired. I have already uploaded the court documents into my application as well as a copy of my pardon.
At no point did I say "they already have this information" I am well aware of how the government works with documentation. I was simply confused at the wording as it says upload form C216C.
Thank you for your kind response

Krista replied 1 month ago   #4


You are not understanding what they are saying. They do not want FINGERPRINTS. They want you to obtain a certified copy of your criminal record BASED ON FINGERPRINTS.

You are making this much more complicated than it is. Go to a company and get fingerprinted for a waiver. When the result arrive in the mail, the page that you get from the RCMP is all you need.

Also upload a copy of the Pardon, because you need to show them what the record used to look like. Do not rely on "they already have this information". Do it properly, and you will have no problems.

I am certified to do Fingerprints AND waivers are my specialty. So my information is accurate.

The reason for the wording is that many DIY start out by going to a local police station for a criminal record search based on NAME AND DOB. This is NOT accepted by Homeland Security.

J Rogers replied 1 month ago   #3

So I am confused no where in the documents does it say to submit criminal record check just to submit form c216c. Do I in fact need to wait for the rcmp to send me my criminal record check or do I just go there and get my finger prints done and submit those with my application?
Thank you

Krista replied 1 month ago   #2

They just don't change the wording and not everyone has access to digital fingerprinting.

Go to a company and get your prints done there. Google "fingerprints" or "RCMP accredited fingerprints". Try not to use the police.

J Rogers replied 1 month ago   #1

Reply to this thread

There is no need to “register”, just enter the same name + password of your choice every time.

Pro tip: Use to add links, quotes and more.