After waiver is received and approved

sandra77posted 3 years ago

Do you have to go in for secondary inspection every time you cross the border?
Aside from the waiver, do they expect any other documents?

Replies (recent first):


Unfortunately you cannot copy the card, it is stapled to an empty page on your passport if you get the long term one. The original must always be in there "not" a photocopy, otherwise CBP will give you a hard time if you cross.

RiCh replied 3 years ago   #6

Sorry, One last question. Can you print a copy of the card to put in your passport? Thanks

sandra77 replied 3 years ago   #5

@sandra77 ............ Is this your first waiver?? Cause if it is, once you go across about a half of dozen times, you'll get the hang of it in no time.

RiCh replied 3 years ago   #4


Yes it's an I-I94 card. It's the size of a credit card but made of cardboard material. I have one stamped in my passport like RiCh says that's valid upto 6 months and you don't usually have to go in for secondary if your reasons for travel are valid enough for the CBP officer to believe and let you go the first time.

But always carry the waiver letter with you when going to the border don't just rely on the card.

ABC replied 3 years ago   #3

Is the little card they staple in your passport an I-94 permit?

sandra77 replied 3 years ago   #2


It's not always secondary, but it is up to an CBP officer for your reasons for visiting and you need your passport obviously so they can staple a little card which is usually valid for 6 months so you don't always have to pay the $6 and go inside for secondary.

Keep your waiver with you at all times when crossing the US border.... I've seen some nightmares with people explaining they forgot it or lost it.

The I-94 permit, which costs $6, allows visitors to travel further than 25 miles from the border and remain in the U.S. for more than 30 days.

By U.S. law, a foreign traveler must possess his or her entry documents, and if required, the I-94 permit, with them at all times while in the United States.

In addition, at checkpoints, U.S. Border Patrol agents check foreign travelers for entry documents and the I-94 permit. Travelers not in possession of their entry documents and an I-94 permit may have their visa cancelled and be deported from the United States.

RiCh replied 3 years ago   #1

Reply to this thread

There is no need to “register”, just enter the same name + password of your choice every time.

Pro tip: Use to add links, quotes and more.